Title I / LAP Programs

Teacher Teach with Student
Title I Program
Title I is a remedial education program designed to help students who require some assistance in reading, math, or language arts.

Learning Assistance Program (LAP)
The LAP program provides supplemental instruction for students who need some additional help, primarily in reading and math.

A student can qualify for these programs through:

  • Measures of Academic Progress (MAP testing)
  • Teacher recommendation and/or parent input

An Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) is not required.

If you have questions regarding the Title I or LAP programs, please contact one of the following staff members:

Title I / LAP Director

Jeff Baerwald 509-340-4300

Lake Spokane Elementary

Nikki Daves 509-340-4079

Nine Mile Falls Elementary

Lori Pippenger 509-340-4038

Lakeside Middle School

Merrily Bjerkestrand 509-340-4135


Teri Swancara 509-340-4073

Parent Involvement Policies (click on school to download a copy of policies):

Lake Spokane Elementary

Lakeside Middle School

Annual Notifications:

Parent's Right to Be Informed, Title I Part A (multiple languages) A Parent's Guide: What is Title I, Part A

Family Engagement is one of our key strategies. We strive to partner with families through parent involvement activities, open communication, and welcoming schools.

School Board Policy 4130 | Parent Input Form

Services for Homeless Students:

Title I services are provided to students in non-Title I schools who qualify as homeless status and are in need of additional academic support. For additional information, please contact our district 's homeless liaison Jeff Baerwald at 509/340-4300

District & School Report Cards:

Links to School Report Cards can be found at District Report Card

Complaints Related to Federal Programs:

A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program.

Anyone can file a citizen complaint

There is no special form

There is no need to know the law that governs a federal program to file a complaint

For more information, please click this link http://www.k12.wa.us/TitleI/CitizenComplaint.aspx